Monday, January 19, 2009

Here is my wish list for a bug out bag and why.

A camel pack with water (no reason needed)
3 day supplies of MRE’s if possible (no reason needed)
A medical kit that includes normal bandages, antiseptic, Alcohol swabs, adhesive Butterfly sutures and medical super glue (because most people cannot stick their selves with a needle to sow up a wound and most are squeamish of sticking others,) 90-day supply of needed medications.
One small to medium folding knife with sharpen stone, good skinning knife.
One all purpose tool it comes with a shovel head an axe head and a saw head they are changeable as is needed.
One extra pair of cloths, (long sleeve shirts) you can always make them into short sleeves, pair of socks x 2.
One pair long johns
One good coat
One good fire starter kit put together with, Waterproof matches, Bic lighter, flint and steel or its equivalent, plus a small amount of light tender that will light easily.
Rain poncho
Small lightweight 2 person tent if room permits.
One AR-7 with 200 rounds of ammo. (The AR-7 folds into the butt stock for easy storage and one can add a scope to it, The ammo is light weight and takes up little room)
100 feet +/- Para shoot cord
One to two space blankets. They are good for keeping the chill off you and if you attach then to the inside of your poncho they will help in thwarting some image scanning detection devices.
One roll of dark colored duct tape. (Be sure to tape up any metal that can cling, clang, or bang around making sounds you don’t need.)
Optional but desirable, small cooking pots and skillet, from a camping supply’s store. A few spices like salt, pepper.

Other options will depend on where I am going, how much room, and weight I still got, and what is there. Such as fishing line and hooks, if I am headed to a place where there is no place to fish I will not take one.

If a SHTF is just until normalcy of society can get back into operation this will keep you for the most part until it is OK to return to civilization.

If a SHTF is in the form of a civil war, mass insurrection, invasion by some foreign body, then the AR-7 will serve as a means to acquire better weapons more powerful for use, and to hunt small game.

This is all in one bag that would go with me everywhere I went. If a place does not allow personal weapons they won’t really know it is in the bag but if they would be inspecting bags I sure will not go there. Like the Mall, or courthouse, or anyplace that I cannot carry my weapon in.

Most people say they will head to the hills, but do you really know already where and how to safely get there? Do you know the quickest route that will not attract attention? Do you have enough fuel in your vehicle at all times to get to where you need to go? Where are you going to dump the automobile at if it is an armed aggression you are running away from then one would not want something as big as an auto where your making camp at. To easy to spot and detect, leave it someplace else, and go the rest of the way on foot.

Be sure to wipe any trail you leave behind, stay below any ridges or hill tops, your outline can be seen easily. I will not ware any type of clothing that can be miss construed as military in nature, if you headed to the hills ware clothing that is light brown or tan, make the colors miss match shirt darker then the pants or vice versa.

There are things I might add to my bug out bag, if weight permits. If I need to bug out I will be doing so in a hurry and taking 70 lbs of crap will slow you down. Avoid carrying a weapon openly if possible, should the armed aggression happen the military/police units will be watching from affair with some type of device, if they see some one walking in the woods unarmed they more then likely will leave you along. But if they see a military type weapon in your arms at the ready they will just simply send one 20mm round down range and then go collect the weapon.

I will have my .45 with me because I already carry it at all times so if I need to fire a few shots to get my ass out of trouble it is ready and hidden on me with easy access. This is just the way I look at it all.

opaww.

5 comments:

azurevirus said...

I have packed and repacked my BOB more times than I can count..and still find items I dont want to leave behind..but right now if I had to BO on foot I couldnt carry my bob far ..I have alot of what u do in yours ..but I have added foods because no telling how long or far I would have to go before shooting my 22 was safe (not heard)..I like the idea of that particular survival rifle but the cost in my area is gettig crazy on them so I decided on a walmart 10/22 with scope for about 200..I would take that with me for )like u) small game eventually as bob food would only be enuff for 3-5 days..I prob would take my 45 and my sa22..bummer is..given this n'that I probably would hunker down as long as possible as to not leave food/guns and ammo here for the whatevers...BOB's are like talking weapons..no two ppl will choose the same..If the boys in black came (and I have noticed more and more blogs I read pertain to LE/MILITARY)threats ..more than gang threats..I would give up my guns to keep from being arrested..(give up my registered guns anyway)..I have had the forethought to stash some other weapons/ammo that I have bought ftf...actually at this point in time Im seriously considering selling off some of my guns as to me 11 are just too many ..the guns I wuold take would be the lightest smallest guns in a bob..thats the only definate I have on my bo guns

opaww said...

Exalent post there azurevirus, and I agree with it. Though I believe to many are putting to much store in large cashes of weapons and ammo, Instead of food and water and other needed things. This was writen in responce to other boards and their discussion on the subject I just thought I would post it on my Blog that usualy no one reads. And thank you for taking the time to read it and reply to the post

opaww

azurevirus said...

always good to read up on any & all survival blogs....never can tell when that one little pc of info will come up that another can use..I would agree that I pack too much but then again it all depends on what ones BOB are for..I tend to want to pack for the very worse scenario and figure I may be in the woods or someplace for an indefinate time....I actually have 4 BOB's which if I can use my truck at the time will be no problem..but as far as local catastrphes..Im just not worried about them too much..tornado or whatever I can just got to a relatives place etc away from it..anyway I read all the blogs I can on survivalism and appreciate them all..keep em coming!

opaww said...

I do have a few other Survival Issues in the works but mostly I am writing about our hopes of survival of this administration.

I have to limit myself in what I carry in my BOB because of health issues and to much weight of things I sure would like to have will mean I don't make it.

A few bags that can be grabbed then discarded as is needed may be the thing. Sense if strength and stamina are enough I can get there with more of the things I would like to, and if not they can be discarded and returned for as time permits.

I don’t know if you have been to this web site or not,

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/index.php

it’s a part of http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

lot of good stuff on the forums there.

azurevirus said...

Thanks for the site..I have a few items cached at this time along a 15 mile route I will take..guns and ammo mostly and to be honest I do worry about them being found..(hate to lose a 400 dollar s/a pistol and 200 rds of ammo ..caching is a way to go..before and maybe taking as much stuff as u can walking and cache on the way..that way ur laod will lighten..anyway I have supplies here and where I will be going and along the way..(something to think about anywyay)..I know about the health issues ..at 54 they seem to crop up pretty easy..like a weak left knee and not the strongest back in the world anymore...one guy in some other blog I read has a good idea on physical fitness..Im thinking or was thinking about loading up my backpack strapping it on and just walking ..in the house..around the block..eventually working up more stamina a little at a time..I loaded up my sm backpack yesterday with just 3 handguns and 300 rds of ammo..wore it around the yard outside while doodling with stuff and in the house too..altogether for about 1 hr..and today my lower back is hurting pretty good..between the things I have to do and me constantly messing around with my BOBs..when the shtf I prob still wont know what to take or leave...I prepped pretty good to hunkerdown for awhile, barring a fire.. or cops..would take some serious effort on anyones part to get me to leave for 4-6 weeks..setting my house on fire being the quickest way